Help with Flood Relief – no Shovels required!
This week we have a unique and important opportunity to serve our community by helping to staff the Volunteer Resource Center at Evangel Baptist Church. We are looking for 20+ individuals who would be willing to volunteer their time on this Thursday (6/28) and Friday (6/29). There are two shifts each day, 8:00am – lunchtime and lunchtime – 5:30pm.
This opportunity does NOT require work clothes and shovels! In fact, you will be answering phones, talking with volunteers to help match them up with projects, providing directions, etc. Not sure how to do this? Don’t worry – there will be a training session to bring you up to speed!
Here is a letter from Amanda about this ministry:
Thank you so much for helping our community respond to this unprecedented flash flood! Despite the visible signs of recovery, there are ongoing needs and opportunities to help. Beyond meeting physical needs, we have a unique opportunity to share the truth and love of Jesus Christ with those we might interact with through these volunteer activities.
We have the privilege of staffing the Volunteer Resource Center (VRC) located at Evangel Baptist Church in Houghton THIS THURSDAY (6/28) AND FRIDAY (6/29). The work we will do here doesn’t require picking up a shovel, bucket, or rake but instead focuses on helping those directly impacted. Our role is to help match their needs with those who are skilled and equipped to accomplish the work.
Here are the details…the VRC is open from 9am-5pm. In order to be trained and ready to receive calls and coordinate volunteers, and to reset the center for the following day, we need volunteers available from 8:00 AM until around 5:30 PM. We are accomplishing this with half day shifts consisting of a morning crew (8:00 through lunchtime) and an afternoon crew (lunchtime until 5:30 or so).
We would love to have YOU join us and serve in one of these potential areas:
– outside helping with parking and tool / equipment selection
– greeting and helping the incoming volunteers fill out the volunteer form
– prescreening volunteers, asking them questions to clarify info on their volunteer forms
– matching volunteer groups with jobs, taking into consideration the number of people and skill sets (involves using a computer spreadsheet)
– taking calls from: those needing help, people wanting to volunteer or donate, and crews in the field (requires using your personal smart phone)
– running additional supplies or equipment to crews in the field, as needed (requires use of your personal vehicle)
– providing childcare for parents from our church body so that they can serve (possibility on-site at Evangel)
Thank you for continuing to pray for those of our community who are displaced or struggling, and thank you to those of you who have already committed to help!
Additionally, please stay tuned. We may be coordinating another Work Day in the coming weeks — this one would require shovels and work clothes. Information on this opportunity will be posted on Facebook, our website and sent out via email once we have more details!